DAppNode is an Operating System. Our team has taken Debian and super-powered it to be your gateway to access the decentralized web.
While you can run DAppNode on a Virtual Private Server (VPS), we highly encourage you to run DAppNode on your own physical server. The intention of DAppNode is to create a strong network of decentralized servers. Running DAppNode on (politically) centralized virtual servers defeats the purpose 😉. That being said, we realize it may be easiest to get started and test the system on a VPS.
Do not install DAppNode on your laptop. The ISO installation will erase all its content. DAppNode is intended to be installed on a dedicated machine.
- Install DAppNode from an ISO: When you want to perform a clean installation, installing the base operating system and DAppNode. Installing from an ISO will wipe the machine data and install Debian + DAppNode
- Install DAppNode from a script: When you already have a machine with Debian installed and you just want to install DAppNode on it.
- Install DAppNode on ARM
You will need a dedicated machine to install it.
We recommend having at least 8GB RAM and an SSD hard drive with at least 1TB. Check this resource by Etherscan on an aproximate size of an Ethereum mainnet node: etherscan.io/chartsync/chaindefault
Requirments vary greatly for each usecase. Blockchain sizes change quickly, specs may be out of date.
In the client side you just need an OpenVPN client installed in the device with which you want to connect to your DAppNode. See info on recommended clients and installation here
Install DAppNode from an ISO
Burn the ISO in a USB
Time to complete: ~8 min
Burn the ISO to an USB stick. To do so we recommend using Etcher for the OS with which you will prepare the USB to boot from your server and install DAppNode
Please note that Etcher is intended to generate the ISO image in a bootable USB from your desktop device, and then install it in a server
IF YOU EXECUTE THE BOOTABLE USB IN A MACHINE CONTAINING DATA IT WILL BE ERASED.
Also, DAppNode is intended to run 24/7 so if you install it in a laptop or desktop machine and you turn it off it will lose the sync
Boot from ISO
Time to complete: ~15 min
Insert the USB into your Server and prepare to install a Debian distribution. You will have to make sure that your Server boots from the USB. If you succeed at booting up from your USB, you will be greeted with this screen or a similar one:
Follow the installation steps. Various screens will guide you through the process and you can follow the recommended setup below for a default installation:
*Note by following these instructions you will erase ALL your server's disk contents.
- Select a language - Language: [English]
- Select your location - Country, territory or area: [United States or your own]
- Configure the keyboard - Keymap to use? [American English or your own]
- Configure the network - Hostname: [dappnode]
- Set up users and passwords - Root password: [Leave blank (twice)]
- Set up users and passwords - Username for your account: [dappnode]
- Set up users and passwords Choose a password for the new user: [YOUR_PASSWORD]
- Set up users and passwords - Re-enter password to verify: [YOUR_PASSWORD]
- Configure the clock - Select your time zone: [Select your own]
- Partition disk - Partitioning method: [Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM]
- Partition disk - Select disk to partition: [SCSIX (0,0,0) (sda) - ...]
- Partition disk - Selected for partitioning: [All files in one partition]
- Partition disk - Write the changes to disks and configure LVM? [Yes]
- Partition disk - Amount of volume group to use for guided partitioning: [Continue]
- Partition disk - Write the changes to disks? [Yes]
- Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk - Install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record? [Yes]
- Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk - [/dev/sda (or the disk selected above)]
- Your public IP - [Unless you have a fixed IP leave it blank]
- Finish the installation - Installation complete [continue]
Resume DAppNode's installation
If the installation succeeded, your system will reboot and you will have to log in with the user and password provided in the installation steps above. Then the following screen should appear:
Now you can connect to your DAppNode by downloading the .ovpn file that you will be able to download from the link / QR show at the end of the installation by double click in it to open it with a compatible OpenVPN client. Here you have the recommended ones and connection instructions
Note that for the ovpn to be correctly downloaded from the link given you will need to have the TCP port 8092 opened and that the default port to connect via OpenVPN is 1194 UDP. UPnP should have opened them for you if your router has UPnP enabled, if not you will have to open and forward them manually
Even if the OpenVPN files are served via HTTP, they are served encrypted, and then decrypted locally in your browser with the key provided in the link, so anyone snooping the file transfer cannot use it.
Install DAppNode from a script
This software is not meant to be run in a remote machine hosted by a remote provider. What DAppNode specifically wants to avoid is centralization of the machines that our digital lives rely on. That said, we understand that before buying a dedicated machine to run your DAppNode you might want to test it and see how easy it is to use.
Remember Your hardware, your coins, your privacy, your freedom.
We strongly recommend using 8GB+ of RAM and a 200GB+ SSD hard drive.
To install all the above prerequisites, execute the command below in the terminal of the machine you want to install DAppNode. If you already have the dependencies installed or you want to install them on your own you can skip this step.
sudo wget -O - https://prerequisites.dappnode.io | sudo bash
Run the following command to install DAppNode:
sudo wget -O - https://installer.dappnode.io | sudo bash
If you have a static IP and want to set it up right from the connection, run the command below, which includes a variable for your static IP. The majority of users will not need to add that as dynamic IPs are the most common.
sudo wget -O - https://installer.dappnode.io | sudo STATIC_IP="your static IP" bash
When the installation is done and is successful, be it you can connect to your DAppNode by downloading the .ovpn file that you will be able to download from the link / QR show at the end of the installation, just double click in it to open it with a compatible OpenVPN client. Here you have the recommended ones and connection instructions
Note that for the ovpn to be correctly downloaded from the link given you will need to have the TCP port 8092 opened and that the default port to connect via OpenVPN is 1194 UDP. UPnP should have opened them for you if your router has UPnP enabled, if not you will have to open them manually
Please, after installation be aware that the ethereum blockchain will take some time to synchronize and you will not be able to perform most actions before that.
Restore to latest version from a script:
If you are experiencing any problem or just want to make sure you are running the latest DAppNode versions, execute this command in the DAppNode terminal. This will update the core packages to the latest versions without erasing any data from your volumes.
⚠️ Please note that volumes are not deleted, but any EXTRA_OPTS set by the user in the packages config must be set again after using this script to restore the system ⚠️
sudo wget -O - https://installer.dappnode.io | sudo UPDATE=true bash
This command will uninstall DAppNode components (but not docker et al.): ⚠️ BEWARE! It will also delete all volumes and stored data!⚠️
wget -qO - https://uninstaller.dappnode.io | sudo bash
Install DAppNode on ARM
- Raspberry model: 4, 3B+
- Raspberry RAM: 8GB, 4GB
- Micro SD free space: 8 or more
- Connectivity to the Rpi
Requirments vary greatly for each usecase. Blockchain sizes change quickly, specs may be out of date.
Prepare and boot ISO
- First download the file
- Unzip the file.
- Write the image into the microSD. To do that, there are different tools such as Raspberry pi imager and Rufus.
- Insert the microSD into the Rpi.
- Switch on the Rpi and wait for the startup process.
- Before proceeding with the DAppNode installation you must have internet connection, the best option is to have a wired internet connection. If not possible follow this tutorial to setup your connection from the command line.
- Once the ISO has been successfully installed, its time to install DAppNode. In the terminal run the command:
- Congratulations! You are done, your DAppNode is installed in your Rpi.
In order to interact with the Rpi in some way there are 2 main options:
- Using the Rpi via ssh: first, you will have to set some requirements, following this tutorial. As well as setting the Rpi IP static, as is shown in the following tutorial.
- Using the RPpi via HDMI: you will have to have an extra mouse and keyboard, as well an HDMI and a monitor.
Few tips regarding using external SSD on your RPI4:
- Check out our guide on mounting and using external disk with docker here.
- You may run into issues with some disk enclosures so be sure to check out this.
Questions? Reach out to us in the Discourse Forum.
Enter your DAppNode!
Connect to your DAppNode through VPN and navigate to my.dappnode to access DAppNode's admin page. DAppNode's functionality will be limited until the Ethereum mainnet chain is synced.
Now you can do things like for example:
Navigate to a decentralized web decentral.eth:
Decentralized version of Mycrypto
- Decentralized version of ENS Manager
Decentralized version of Wallet Gnosis
Go to the IPFS web interface by entering http://ipfs.dappnode:5001/webui into your browser.
The first time you access to it will ask you for your
Custom API address, just fill the field with this address and you will be connected to your IPFS node, this is the input you have to enter in the field
Is your API in a port other than 5001?
You can have a look to our user guide https://docs.dappnode.io
Even if it's just a message to confirm that everything is running successfully, we need your feedback to provide the best decentralized server network infrastructure possible. Please message us with questions, suggestions, or just to confirm you got your DAppNode set up: